“City unaware of Klan-Nazi files missing”

“City unaware of Klan-Nazi files missing” : News-Record.com : Greensboro, North Carolina
Responding to allegations that files related to the 1979 Klan-Nazi shootings had been destroyed, a city spokeswoman said Tuesday that officials are unaware of anything being missing. Three Greensboro ministers say police disposed of about 50 boxes of files, which they say were tossed into a trash bin. That came, said the Revs. Cardes Brown, Gregory Headen and Nelson Johnson, after the city had received a request for information about the shootings. But Pat Boswell, a city spokeswoman, said there is nothing to indicate that files were destroyed. “We’re not aware of any information missing,” she said. (…) During a press conference at New Light Baptist Church, Brown, Headen and Johnson released a statement saying a police officer contacted Johnson about the files in September. Johnson said the police officer was present when the files were thrown out but would not provide the officer’s name. The files, the ministers said, included information on the surveillance of members of the Communist Workers Party, which was involved in the shooting. The files, which were in possession of the police department’s Special Intelligence Division, were separate from other police files, the ministers said. The ministers said Headen and Johnson met in October with Keith Holliday, then the mayor, and City Manager Mitchell Johnson to tell them about the files with the idea of starting an investigation. Soon afterward, they said, Bellamy contacted Nelson Johnson to ask who the source of the information was, but Johnson declined, saying he had agreed not to reveal the officer’s name. Brown said the ministers have come to the conclusion that the city is not pursuing the matter. “It appears there is no intent to find out,” he said. “We hope the media will assist in getting to the bottom of this.” Nelson Johnson said the files were destroyed in 2004 or 2005.

siehe auch:  Anti-Klan rally files destroyed, 3 say. Three ministers accused a Greensboro police officer Tuesday of ordering officers to destroy about 50 boxes of police files related to the fatal shootings at an anti-Ku Klux Klan rally in 1979. The Revs. Cardes Brown, Gregory Headen and Nelson Johnson said an active-duty officer told them he and at least three other officers were told to destroy the records in 2004 or 2005, shortly after the Truth and Reconciliation Commission requested police files related to the shootings. The News & Record of Greensboro reports that the order came from Sgt. Craig McMinn in the department’s Special Intelligence Unit. The ministers didn’t identify the officer who provided the information. Telephone messages left by The Associated Press with McMinn and Chief of Police Timothy Bellamy weren’t returned Tuesday. On the morning of Nov. 3, 1979, a heavily armed caravan of Klansmen and Nazi party members confronted the rally. Five marchers were killed and 10 were injured. Those criminally charged were later acquitted in state and federal trials. The city and some Klan members were found liable for the deaths in civil litigation.

Bookmark the permalink.

One Comment

  1. Pingback: Ex-intelligence officer with Greensboro police alleges Klan-Nazi files destroyed « dokumentationsarchiv

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *