Reportback from Anti-Racist Action on David Irving NYC Event

publish.nyc.indymedia.org | Reportback from Anti-Racist Action on David Irving NYC Event

Initially canceled at its original venue due to a phone jam initiated by Anti-Racist Action, Holocaust revisionist David Irving was able to dupe yet another New York City venue into hosting his hateful speaking tour. thanks to the great investigative work of members of Anti-Racist Action and our friends, we were able to properly greet David Irving and his fascist guests when they arrived at their back-up location – St. Stephen of Hungary Parish, 414 East 82nd. (…) Arriving outside Primavera Restaurant at 6:30pm, we immediately noticed two people redirecting people from the restaurant to a location down the street. Not being very bright, these two Irving supporters were more then happy to inform ARA members were the talk was actually happening. We proceeded down the block to St. Stephen of Hungary Parish, but not before confronting the redirect people – taking their clipboard and fliers, and chasing them away from outside of the restaurant. With that taken care of, we then concentrated our efforts on the church. Immediately upon arriving at the church, we took down the signs outside announcing Irving’s lecture, closed the doors and positioned ourselves in front of the entrance. As the first people began to arrive, we informed them that the David Irving event had been canceled. Some people tried to force their way past us, all with no results. One person – so angered by our presence – resorted to pushing and shoving and typical neo-Nazi insults – “communist,” “homosexual” and so on. He even (tried) to grab at the camera we were using to take the picture of every person entering the event, and when that did not work, he (tried) spitting on him. (…) Once across the street, we took the opportunity to inform neighbors and passer-bys just what was going on at the church. We passed out hundreds of fliers, and talked to many, many people. Community members were outraged that a neo-Nazi was speaking in their neighborhood, and even angrier that St. Stephen’s Parish had afforded such a notorious fascist a public platform. As David Irving’s event came to a close, the counter-protest got loud again. Chant of “Nazis out! Nazis out! This is our community!” and “Death, death, death to the fascists! Power, power, power to the people” could be heard echoing throughout this Upper Eastside neighborhood.

siehe auch: Freedom of Speech, Satire, and Revisionist History… Walking home on the Upper East Side on Wednesday night, I saw a cluster of ten policemen and two patrol cars. It seemed quite unusual for a customarily innocuous and quiet block. They were standing at the door to a church, one that is respected in the community for its school and other activities. “What’s going on?” I asked. The officer pointed across the street. There was a small group of people with signs. “Demonstration,” he announced. “We got a 911 call.” I crossed over to get a better look at their posters. “NO TO NAZIS.” “What’s going on?” I inquired. “David Irving, the Holocaust denier, is in that church giving a lecture. We’re here to say he’s unwelcome,” replied a woman. “Who is we?” I asked. “We’re here as individuals,” she said, “but we’re part of a broader anti-racist action group. We confront all neo-Nazis and all Fascists.” (…) A woman who had traveled from Brooklyn to hear Irving was at first hesitant to speak, but then became quite willing to share her thoughts. “I wanted to hear another point-of-view,” she said. “I’m tired of the PC crap.” When I asked her to clarify she said, “The six million Jews … no way that many were killed.” I asked her how many she thought had died. “Under two million,” she said flatly. “Listen,” she continued, “Look at the numbers that came crawling forward looking for their lost land and art, seeking restitution.” She then expounded on some of her other ideas. “This whole thing with Anne Frank … she wasn’t shot or gassed. She died of typhus.” When I suggested that it might have been the result of being imprisoned in a concentration camp she responded, “She wasn’t even there that long.” In an effort to be clear she emphasized, “I’m a lover of history, all history. I want people to just report the facts … and this man has a lot of facts.”

Austria: Prosecutor orders new tests to determine if Nazi suspect can be extradited to Croatia

Austria: Prosecutor orders new tests to determine if Nazi suspect can be extradited to Croatia

Austrian authorities have ordered a new round of medical and psychiatric tests to determine whether a suspected Nazi is healthy enough to be extradited to Croatia to stand trial for alleged atrocities.
The public prosecutor’s office in the southern Austrian province of Carinthia said Saturday it hopes a fresh evaluation of 95-year-old Milivoj Asner will lay to rest doubts about his fitness. The Croatian-born retired police chief caused a stir last month when he was seen watching a soccer match in the city of Klagenfurt. Critics contend Austria is sheltering Asner from Croatia, which wants to try him for World War II-era atrocities against Serbs, Jews and Gypsies.

Ex-soldier admits racial assault

Ex-soldier admits racial assault – Gazette Live

A FORMER soldier who performed a Nazi salute after assaulting an Asian man has been given a second chance by a judge. Stockton man Christopher Angel, 28, was captured on CCTV stamping on Ali Mohammed, but was told he will be spared jail if he stays out of trouble during the next six months. Angel had been drinking with his friends Gary White and Claire Blackburn on June 7 last year, when they approached Mr Mohammed outside his home, wrongly believing he was a taxi driver. When he refused to give them a lift, an argument broke out and Mr Mohammed was assaulted – leaving him with a broken nose and scratches and bruising to his face. Prosecutor, Martina Connolly, said: “Mr White punched him to the head and body and this defendant then appeared to stamp on his head or the side of his upper body. Mr Mohammed managed to break away and as they were leaving, this defendant gestured towards him with a Nazi salute.”

Spanish court agrees to review Nazi guard lawsuit

The Associated Press: Spanish court agrees to review Nazi guard lawsuit

Spain’s National Court agreed Friday to review evidence in a lawsuit filed against four alleged former Nazi concentration camp guards. A decision by the court to file charges in the case could lead to the four men’s extradition from the United States to face trial over the deaths of Spanish citizens. The lawsuit — filed on behalf of victims’ relatives by Brussels-based rights group Equipo Nizkor — asks the court to charge the four with genocide and other crimes. It names John (Iwan) Demjanjuk, Anton Tittjung, Josias Kumpf and Johann Leprich as defendants. Judge Ismael Moreno said Friday that his court would review the evidence in the suit, which claims the suspects served as guards in concentration camps at Flossenberg and Sachsenhausen, in Germany, and Mauthausen, in Nazi-occupied Austria.

Wirt verhindert Neonazi-Treffen

Neue Westfälische: Zeitung, Tageszeitung für Bad Oeynhausen – Wirt verhindert Neonazi-Treffen

“Abschiedskonzert” vor Haftantritt in Leopoldshöhe. Eigentlich sollte es ja in Rahden stattfinden, das Abschlusskonzert für den verurteilten Volksverhetzer Marcus Winter. Doch der Wirt des betreffenden Gasthofs vermietete seine Räumlichkeiten nicht an die umstrittene Klientel – und so traf sich die rechte Neonazi-Szene stattdessen in Leopoldshöhe (Kreis Lippe). Nach Informationen des Mindener Tageblattes fanden die Freunde des Anführers der ostwestfälischen Neonazis im Besitzer einer ehemaligen Leopoldshöher Tennishalle einen bereitwilligen Vermieter. Also trafen sie sich Samstag dort in dem Industriegebiet, um unter anderem den “Bitchbangern” zuzuhören. Fotos auf einschlägigen Internetseiten belegen, wer an diesem Abend auch zum Mikro gegriffen hat: Marcus Winter selbst, dazu der ebenfalls als Neonazi bekannte Mindener Marco Siedbürger.

Nazi-Prozess begann mit Pannen

Sächsische Zeitung [online] | Sachsen im Netz – Nazi-Prozess begann mit Pannen

Zeugen verhindert l Jugendgerichtshilfe verbrummte Termin l Wo ist die Nebenklage? Viel Aufhebens um eine schmächtige Nachwuchs-Glatze: Die von Pannen begleitete Verhandlung um den mutmaßlichen Anführer der verbotenen Neonazi-Kameradschaft „Sturm 34“ geht in eine neue Runde. Doch auch am Chemnitzer Landgericht hatte der Prozess Startschwierigkeiten. Tom W. (20) war im Februar am Amtsgericht wegen gefährlicher Körperverletzung zu 19 Monaten Haft verurteilt worden. Er soll jeweils als Teil einer großteils vermummten Gruppe an drei Überfällen auf Jugendliche in Mittweida, Döbeln und Lunzenau beteiligt gewesen sein. Sowohl er als auch die Staatsanwaltschaft fochten das Urteil an.

Military high court: racist speech not criminal

Military high court: racist speech not criminal – Examiner.com

A U.S. Army soldier who espoused racist views in an Internet profile was exercising his right to free speech, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces ruled Wednesday. Nearly eight years ago, military prosecutors charged Pfc. Jeremy T. Wilcox with making statements online that discredited the Armed Forces and were detrimental to good order and discipline. Wilcox was also accused of several other charges – including violating military rules by attending a Ku Klux Klan rally and encouraging participation in extremist organizations. Those charges were resolved separately and not part of the appeal to the Washington, D.C.-based military high court. A civilian police officer notified the military’s criminal investigative division after spotting an online profile that contained racist views posted by someone calling himself “US Army Paratrooper,” according to the written ruling. That’s when a military investigator went undercover, posing as a young woman interested in the white supremacist movement and recording her online conversations with Wilcox, who also referred to himself as “Wskullhead.”

Prosecutors File Hate Crime and Murder Charges Against Petersburg Neo-Nazis

Solidarity with anti-fascists in RussiaUnion of Councils for Soviet Jews: Prosecutors File Hate Crime and Murder Charges Against Petersburg Neo-Nazis

Prosecutors in St. Petersburg have filed hate crimes and murder charges against four neo-Nazi youths who stabbed an Uzbek man to death last year, according to a July 17, 2008 report by the local Fontanka.ru news web site. According to prosecutors, the four suspects, two of whom are under-aged, traveled to the nearby town of Repino in order to find a non-Russian to beat up. After hunting the streets for a few hours, the young extremists gave up, but as they waited for a train back to Petersburg, they spotted 30-year-old Ibragim Parmanov, who had arrived in town a few days before to visit his sister and work as a house cleaner. He tried to flee his assailants, but they caught him, started to beat him, and then the two under-aged youths pulled out knives and stabbed him multiple times. He died of blood loss shortly before paramedics arrived.

New FBI Report Confirms Extremist Activity in U.S. Military

Mark Potok: New FBI Report Confirms Extremist Activity in U.S. Military

Two years ago, the Southern Poverty Law Center wrote to Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld asking him to investigate the extent to which white supremacists had infiltrated the U.S. military and urging him to adopt a zero-tolerance policy on racist extremists. We had just published “A Few Bad Men,” a report containing significant evidence that thousands of potentially violent neo-Nazis, skinheads and other white supremacists were learning the art of warfare as members of the armed services. Pressure to meet manpower goals for the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan had led recruiters and commanders to relax the military standards designed to weed out these extremists. Forty members of Congress joined our call for an investigation. U.S. Senator Richard Shelby, an Alabama Republican, also urged Rumsfeld to adopt a zero-tolerance policy. “Military extremists present an elevated threat to both their fellow servicemembers and the public,” Shelby wrote. “We witnessed with Timothy McVeigh that today’s racist extremist may become tomorrow’s domestic terrorist.” Three months later, the Pentagon — apparently without any investigation whatsoever — responded by rejecting our findings as “inaccurate and misleadingly alarmist.” This week, NBC News producer Jim Popkin uncovered a new, unpublished FBI report that reinforces our findings. In fact, it documents a sort of revolving door between the military and white supremacist organizations. According to Popkin, the FBI found that extremists are recruiting military veterans to their organizations and also encouraging their followers “to infiltrate the military as ‘ghost skins,’ in order to recruit and receive training for the benefit of the extremist movement.” Popkin quotes the FBI report as saying that in 2006, the National Socialist Movement received a number of inquiries from active-duty Army and Marine personnel stationed in Afghanistan and Iraq about joining the neo-Nazi organization.

siehe auch: White-power groups recruiting from military. White-supremacist groups have recruited 203 people who served in the U.S. military or who claim to have U.S. military backgrounds, according to a new report by the FBI. The unclassified FBI Intelligence Assessment, issued last week and obtained by NBC News, cautions that white-power extremists are trying hard to recruit active-duty soldiers and recent veterans of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. “White supremacist extremists hope to revitalize the white supremacist movement by exploiting antigovernment sentiment among opponents of the overseas conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan,” the FBI report states. It adds, however, that the effort is not going particularly well. “Although some veterans of these conflicts have joined the extremist movement, they have not done so in numbers sufficient to stem declines among major national extremist organizations, nor has their participation resulted in a more violent extremist movement,” the FBI writes. The report, titled “White Supremacist Recruitment of Military Personnel since 9/11,” compiles statistics from hundreds of FBI cases from October 2001 to May 2008. It finds that U.S. military experience “is found throughout the white supremacist extremist movement.” It adds: “FBI reporting indicates extremist leaders have historically favored recruiting active and former military personnel for their knowledge of firearms, explosives, and tactical skills and their access to weapons and intelligence in preparation for an anticipated war against the federal government, Jews, and people of color.”

In the Czech press: Neo-Nazi T-shirts flood Holešovice market

The Prague Post Online: In the Czech press: Neo-Nazi T-shirts flood Holešovice market

Anti-extremism specialist says there’s no way to stop sales.  T-shirts with neo-Nazi symbols have flooded the outdoor market in Holešovice, but the police are reluctant to intervene, Denik.cz reported Thursday. Black T-shirts showing the silhouette of a World War II German soldier with the label “Landser Deutsche Wut,” the name of a German neo-Nazi band, which has been prohibited from performing in Germany and three of whose members were jailed in 2003, have started appearing mainly in Vietnamese stalls. According to a police anti-extremism specialist who was called to the scene, there is no way to stop the sale of the T-shirts, because they do not actually propagate Nazism, which is illegal in Europe.