The Globe and Mail – CSIS mole defends work with white supremacists

Grant Bristow, who infiltrated the white supremacist movement as a paid informant for Canada’s spy service, has broken his long silence, saying he took on the unsavoury task because it was “the right thing to do.”
Mr. Bristow’s comments mark the first time he has publicly discussed his controversial role as an undercover operative for the Canadian Security Intelligence Service since being exposed in the press 10 years ago (…)
His chance meeting with a member of the extreme right eventually led to Mr. Bristow’s central role in Operation Governor, a CSIS investigation of the white supremacist movement.
The racist right had been invigorated by the April, 1989, deportation to Canada of white supremacist Wolfgang Droege, fresh from a U.S. prison sentence for cocaine trafficking and weapon possession. In October of that year, Mr. Droege set up the Heritage Front, a continental network of racists. Mr. Bristow lived a schizophrenic existence, working by day as an investigator for a shipping firm and spending evenings and weekends nurturing his ties to the racist right, the article says.
“I was keeping watch over violent hate groups,” he said. “It was the right thing to do.” The operation grew troubling when tensions erupted between the white supremacists and anti-racist groups.

Hale can represent himself at sentencing

White supremacist Matthew Hale will be allowed to represent himself in his sentencing and any other legal matters in his case, a federal judge ruled Tuesday. A so-called stand-by attorney also will be available to Hale, who is awaiting November sentencing. In May, a jury convicted Hale of soliciting the murder of a federal judge and obstructing justice.
Hale fired his defense attorney, Thomas Durkin, and for a short while was represented by a cousin. Hale, who attended law school but was refused a law license in Illinois, has asked for a new trial, saying Durkin disparaged him throughout the trial and went ”so far as to calling me names and even telling the jury that I deserved to be convicted on a moral basis.”

White supremacist charged in death – PittsburghLIVE.com

Holocaust survivor Elias Lazar had no idea that the young man renting an efficiency apartment in his Squirrel Hill building was a neo-Nazi hatemonger whom police charged early Friday with killing his girlfriend with a single shot to her face. “This guy, he was quiet. We didn’t know anything,” Lazar, 92, said Friday.
Hardy C. Lloyd, 26, confessed early yesterday morning to fatally shooting Lori Hann, 41, of Forest Hills, outside a Squirrel Hill home late Tuesday, according to an affidavit of probable cause filed to support his arrest. Police said they knew from Internet sites and from leaflets Lloyd distributed in the East End that he preached violence against non-whites, Jews and law enforcement. Investigators said Hann knew of his activities, too.

The Saratogian – B’Spa man arrested in hate crime

Village police arrested a South Street man Monday afternoon and accused him of throwing milk bottles through the window of a biracial couple and spray painting ‘KKK’ and a racial slur on the woman’s car July 27.
Michael Steven Robinson, 26, of 113 South St., is charged with criminal mischief, a misdemeanor, and with felony aggravated harassment. The felony charge alleges that Robinson was motivated by the victim’s race, Ballston Spa Police Officer Dave Bush said. ‘We didn’t treat this different than any other case,’ Bush said. The woman’s daughter was slightly injured by breaking glass.
Robinson told police he was very drunk at the time of the alleged vandalism, Bush said. Robinson, who lives near the victims, said he was upset about what he perceived as criminal activity at their residence. ‘He wanted good neighbors,’ Bush said. ‘That doesn’t make it right.’
Village police have arrested the woman’s boyfriend, Nelson Ricky Jones, 35, of South Street, for various larcenies over the past few months before the alleged racial incident.

de.indymedia.org | Stell Dir vor es ist Pressefest…

Das Pressefest der “Deutschen Stimme”, einer NPD-nahen Monatszeitung, gehört zu den bestbesuchten rechtsextremen Veranstaltungen des Jahres. Neben der Faszination einer Großveranstaltung hat es auch eine kittende Funktion für die teilweise verstrittene und zersplitterte Szene. Anhänger der NPD und sogenannter “freier Kameradschaften” treffen sich hier ebenso wie Mitglieder und Sympathisanten der DVU und Republikaner. Daneben sind auch regelmäßig Abordnungen aus dem Ausland vertreten. Eigentlich Anlass genug den Nazis kräftig den Tag zu vermiesen.
Am vergangenen Samstag war es wieder soweit. Die “Deutsche Stimme” rief und der braune Mob kam. Dieses Mal waren es an die 4500 Nazis (laut NPD sogar 6900 Teilnehmer), die sich auf den Weg in das sächsische Mücka machten. Bei einer derart hohen Teilnehmerzahl könnte man eigentlich von einer entsprechend hohen Anzahl Gegendemonstranten ausgehen. Leider waren es kaum mehr als einige hundert, dazu kaum organisiert und auch unabhängig voneinander agierend. Der Anteil linksradikaler Kräfte an den Gegenprotesten dürfte kaum einen zweistelligen Prozentsatz erreicht haben.
Stattdessen wurde der Widerstand gegen die Verbreitung der Nazi-Propaganda von eher bürgerlichen Kräften geprägt. Neben der Ev. Kirche Berlin-Brandenburg-Schlesische-Oberlausitz und anderen christlischen Gruppen sowie der Ausländerbeauftragten des Landkreises waren vereinzelt einige Anhänger vermeintlicher oder tatsächlicher linker Parteien vor Ort.
Die Nazis konnten dagegen auf breitere Unterstützung bauen. Folgende rechtsextreme Gruppierungen zeigten mit Transparenten, Ständen und ähnlichem Präsenz (kein Anspruch auf Vollständigkeit): NPD, JN, NHB, das „Nationale Bündnis Dresden“, das „Aktionsbüro Norddeutschland“, der „Bund freier Jugend“, das „Deutsche Rechtsbüro“, die „Aktion freies Deutschland“, die „Heimattreue Jugend“, die „Kameradschaft Karlsruhe“, die „Hilfsgemeinschaft für Nationale Gefangene“, das „Nationale und Soziale Aktionsbüro Mitteldeutschland“, das „Freie Infotelefon“, das „Nationale und Soziale Aktionsbündnis Thüringen“, der „Club 88“, die „Gemeinschaft Deutscher Frauen“, der „Jugendklub Grünau“, das „Freie Jugendprojekt Berlin“, der „Deutsch-Ungarische Freundeskreis“, der „SC Friedrichroda“, die Nazi-Blätter „Unabhängige Nachrichten“, „Deutsche Militärzeitung“, „Freiheit Wattenscheid“, „Herrlich Herrmannsland“, „Förderturm“, „Unsere Welt“ sowie „Triskele“. Daneben waren noch Vertreter aus dem Ausland, u.a. den USA (sic!!!), Rußland, Kanada, Spanien, Italien, England, Ungarn, Tschechien, der Slowakei und Frankreich anwesend.

The World Today – The rise of the far right

EDMOND ROY: The rise of far right extremism, which has resurfaced in Europe and Australia, continues to impact the course of mainstream political discourse around the world.
For the far right, the issue of immigration has often been their initial focal point, which has helped them gain electoral success, but a subsequent broadening of their concerns has seen their influence move into areas of political priorities and public policy.
Professor Martin Schain is Director of the Center for European Studies at New York University. In Australia for a conference on the prospects for the Far Right, Professor Schian has been telling me all mainstream political parties are to blame for the continuing influence of right wing extremists in society.
MARTIN SCHAIN: It’s a phenomenon that emerged in western Europe somewhat in the 1970s, more in the 1980s, and has kind of platformed out in the late 1990s and the early part of the 21st century. It’s very much linked to the new immigration, even though the phenomenon emerged after immigration was suspended in most West European countries.
It’s a reaction to the emergence of Western Europe, or West European countries, as multicultural societies, so that’s one part of it. But of course it hasn’t emerged in every country. It’s emerged in some countries, and where it has and where it hasn’t emerged is very much related to the strength of the party system in each particular country.
EDMOND ROY: Now have you been looking at Australia at all? And if so, have you looked at the impact of such policies, as it were, into the mainstream political discourse.

mz-web.de: Rechtsextreme nutzen die Gunst der Stunde

Der 18. September ist für die rechtextremistische NPD von Sachsen-Anhalt ein wichtiger Tag. Einen Tag vor der Landtagswahl in Sachsen wählen die Delegierten auf einem Landesparteitag im Harz nicht nur ihren Vorstand neu. Die Neonazis wollen sich darüber verständigen, was ihre künftigen Schwerpunkte sind.
Dass das Ausnutzen der sozialen Unzufriedenheit im Osten dabei ganz oben steht, ist für NPD-Landeschef Steffen Karl schon heute beschlossene Sache. Man werde die Proteste vor Ort “dezentral unterstützen”, Infostände organisieren und verstärkt um Mitglieder werben. Karl spricht von einem deutlichen Zuwachs in den letzten Wochen. Jetzt auf einmal kämen auch die über 30- und 40-Jährigen.
Für Everhard Holtmann, Politologe an der Martin-Luther-Universität Halle, ist dies alles “wenig überraschend”. Es sei Teil der NPD-Strategie, den Antikapitalismus von rechts zu propagieren. Ob Dessau, Köthen oder Magdeburg: Das eigentliche Problem rechtsextremer Unterwanderung sieht der Wissenschaftler freilich in der Instrumentalisierung des Begriffes “Montagsdemo”. Wer den Vergleich zu den gewaltfreien Demos gegen eine Diktatur im Jahre 1989 zulasse, “der nimmt das Risiko in Kauf, dass radikale Trittbrettfahrer aufspringen”. Deshalb habe er “große Bauchschmerzen”, wenn die Gewerkschaften oder Organisationen wie Attac keine klaren Definitionen vornehmen würden.

Schändung des jüdischen Friedhofs in Lyon – Kette von Profanierungen – Häufung im Elsass – NZZ

Erneut sind in Frankreich jüdische Gräber geschändet worden. Derartige Fälle haben sich dieses Jahr gehäuft; auch muslimische Gräber waren betroffen. Das offizielle Frankreich zeigt Abscheu vor solchen Signalen des Rassismus und Antisemitismus.
Auf dem jüdischen Friedhof im 7. Arrondissement von Lyon sind in der Nacht zum Dienstag ungefähr 60 Grabsteine mit Haken- und Kelten- kreuzen beschmiert worden. Auch ein Denkmal für die jüdischen Gefallenen der Rhonestadt im Zweiten Weltkrieg wurde geschändet. Aufschriften in schwarzer Farbe und voller Orthographiefehler beriefen sich auf Hitler und forderten zum «Widerstand gegen die islamische Invasion» auf. Die Grabschändung ist ein weiteres Glied in einer langen Kette von seit dem Frühjahr zu verzeichnenden Profanierungen jüdischer und auch muslimischer Friedhöfe in Frankreich, vor allem im Elsass. Sie ist nach Ansicht des Repräsentativrats der jüdischen Gemeinschaft sowie des Anwalts Serge Klarsfeld die Untat von kleinen Schurken ohne viel politischen Hintergrund. Zwei Jugendliche, die sich vor der Grabschändung auf dem Friedhof herumgetrieben hatten und sogar kurz durch die von einem Wächter herbeigerufene Polizei überprüft worden waren, befinden sich in Polizeigewahrsam; amtlicherseits wurde indes betont, dass vorderhand keine Anzeichen auf ihre Täterschaft hindeuteten.

Vorarlberg Online: Skinhead-Aufmarsch zu Recht verboten

Das Verbot des Skinhead-Aufmarsches im Dezember 2002 in Bregenz war gerechtfertigt. Diese Entscheidung fällte jetzt der Verfassungsgerichtshof in Wien.
Gespannt wartete nicht nur die Bevölkerung in Vorarlberg auf die Entscheidung der Höchstrichter: Skinheads aus Österreich, Deutschland und der Schweiz wollten am 14. Dezember 2002 durch Bregenz marschieren. Zu der Massenveranstaltung hatte ein Versandhandel für Skinhead- und Neonaziutensilien aufgerufen. Der Aufmarsch wurde damals polizeilich untersagt.